The Client: CIMA
The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants, founded in 1919, is the world’s leading and largest professional body of Management Accountants, with 195,000 members and students operating in 176 countries, working at the heart of business. CIMA members and students work in industry, commerce, the public sector and not-for-profit organisations.
For a professional body like CIMA their commitment to responsible business was two-fold.
1. CIMA Staff
Firstly as a business and a global employer, CIMA needs to ensure that staff around the world are able to flag up any concerns they have with regard to ethical conduct. CIMA wanted to have a phone line that was accessible around the world 24/7, that employees would feel comfortable to contact if they had an issue and to reinforce the importance placed on integrity.
With new policies in place in regard to the UK Bribery Act, the helpline helps reinforce in-house training, intranet articles and with posters prominent throughout their offices worldwide, all staff should be aware of the service.
2. CIMA Members and Students
Secondly, ensuring that their people understand that ethical conduct is taken seriously is important to CIMA as they are encouraging a culture of challenge and speaking up. As a professional body, CIMA actively supports members and students worldwide to uphold their ethical commitments.
CIMA already provided a helpline during UK working hours related to the professional Code of Ethics as well as a referral service to a legal helpline for those operating under UK Law. But the professional standards team also wanted to offer guidance to their members and students wherever they were in the world, should they feel uneasy about something happening at work that was compromising their professional standing.
- Offering a global whistleblowing hotline that is available at all times to all staff.
- CIMA staff can now report a concern, which will be investigated and any appropriate action taken will be reported back, via Expolink, to the caller.
- For their global membership, there is now also an option to reach out and pick up the phone to assist them think through any action they may need to take, wherever they are.
- Offering such a service also messages the importance of speak-up lines in supporting responsible business .